Since 2017, professionals from across the Building Energy Modeling (BEM) community have gathered annually (or more often) to participate in Symposium activities supporting CalBEM’s core goals. Presentations and other static documents from these past activities are archived below and on our YouTube channel:
A two-session event held online on November 17th and 18th, 2020. Click here to toggle the view for meeting notes, presentations, and more.
- Power Talks (Watch all in playlist)
- Are You Communicating, or Just Simulating? (i.e. Working with Architects), Kjell Anderson (LMN Architects)
- Utility Allowances in Affordable Housing Finance, Sean Armstrong (Redwood Energy)
- Ecosizer: Standardizing Central HPWH Sizing, Paul Kinter (Ecotope)
- Modeling Compliance for Electrification Reach Codes, Farhad Farahmand (TRC)
- CityBES: Supporting design and operation of energy efficient and climate resilient buildings, Tianzhen Hong (LBNL)
- IBPSA-USA Building Data Exchange Committee: Consensus Documents for Data Modeling Standardization, Sagar Rao (Affiliated Engineers)
- Working Groups Breakout Sessions
Notes from breakout groups are available on the CalBEM Collaborative Workspace. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for access.
2020 Working Group Update Blog Posts
CalBEM January Update Webinars (2020)
Following the fall event, CalBEM holds a series of focused Working Group update webinars to kick off the year to come. Click here to toggle the view for webinar recordings and archived Action Plans.
- Working Group 1: Creating a Streamlined Process for Building Simulation
- Working Group 2: Development of Education, Key Resources, and Guidelines for Users
- Working Group 3: Advancing Simulation Capabilities & Metrics
A two-day event held at the Kimpton Sawyer Hotel in Sacramento, California on November 13th and 14th, 2019. Click here to toggle the view for meeting notes, presentations, and more.
- Pre-Symposium Reading Materials
- Introduction Will Vicent (SCE)
- Keynote Steve Wall (NASA-JPL)
- Plenary Presentation Supriya Goel (PNNL)
- Power Talks
- Overcoming the BEM Education Gap Mike Wilson (IBPSA)
- Interoperability Please! Jeffery Landreth (Seeking Balance)
- XeroHome: Solving the Problem of Scale with BEM Mudit Saxena (Vistar Energy)
- Automated Simulation for Affordable Net-Zero Buildings Patrick Chopson (Cove Tool)
- Open Source BEM & OpenStudio Marc Costa (Energy Coalition)
- Modeling for the Masses and Massive Modeling Allen Gilliland III (Build Zero)
- Let’s Play Telephone Gina Rodda (Gabel Energy)
- EnergyPro Lite: Multifamily Energy Modeling for the Real World Ben Cooper (Stop Waste)
- Working Group Breakout Sessions
Notes available on the CalBEM Collaborative Workspace. Email email@example.com for access.
Symposium III 2018
A two-day event held at the California Museum in Sacramento, California on November 5 and 6, 2018. Click here to toggle the view for meeting notes and presentations.
Symposium II 2018
A web-based conference held on July 12, 2018. Click here to toggle the view for meeting notes, presentations, and more.
Symposium I 2017
A two-day event held at the Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento, California on September 18 and 19, 2017. Click here to view the meeting notes.